[Kea-users] kea 2.0.3 dhcp4 HA not working

Peter Davies peterd at isc.org
Thu Apr 20 18:50:09 UTC 2023

Hi -
    Thanks for the log files.

There isn't much to comment on here. Your HA configuration appears to be
working.
HA Heartbeat commands are being sent and received correctly in both
directions.
There are some HA warnings but they were generated on kea-1 before kea-2
was up
and running, and on kea-2 after kea-1 had been shut down.

What I don't see is any dhcp traffic.

I suggest you let the servers run for a while and see what happens. If
you can't
use live DHCP traffic you can use "perfdhcp" or "dhclient" to generate some.

For the secondary to start processing DHCPDISCOVERs the  HA parameters
"max-unacked-clients" and "max-ack-delay" are considered as well as the
status of the primary.
The default value for the "max-ack-delay" parameter is 10000 milliseconds.
The default value of the  "max-unacked-clients"  parameter is 10.
see:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.0.3/arm/hooks.html#load-balancing-configuration

When you have your configuration working,  I  suggest you also consider
enabling multi-threading.
see:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#multi-threading-settings

With multi-threading enabled, you can enable multi-threaded HA.
see:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/hooks.html#multi-threaded-configuration-ha-mt

Multi-threaded HA creates a direct HA connection between the HA servers
and does
not go through the control agent.

Kind Regards Peter

--