[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

3 babut at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 15 15:48:59 UTC 2022

>> but i want several addresses AT THE SAME TIME. this is stated in rfc8415. and
>> here is what is said about rfc8415 in the kea documentation:
>> --------
>> The server will allocate, renew, or rebind a maximum of one lease for a
>> particular IA option (IA_NA or IA_PD) sent by a client. RFC 8415 allows for
>> multiple addresses or prefixes to be allocated for a single IA.
>> --------
>> MAXIMUM ONE! ;) but of course i tried, since i don't have a mailing address
>> ending in "isc.org" ;) here is the config for the test:
>> --------

> rfc8415 also says that your client has to request multiple IA_NA and/or IA_TA and/or IA_PD in the same packet.  Is your Windows client doing that?  Once more, you can confirm with wireshark.  That is the first thing to confirm before you start pointing fingers at Kea and saying it won't support this or that feature.

>> the behavior of the server has changed, now there are two "solicit" requests and
>> two "advertise" responses, but each response has one IA_NA. it seems that this
>> is not what it should be according to rfc8415. the trouble is that although the
>> proposed addresses in each response are different(go in order), but they are
>> both from the same (first in the config) network, and the windows client
>> selects the last one from them.
>> what am i wrong about?

>> ps: version is 2.2.0, but i looked at the changelog and there are no changes on
>> this issue

> In my experience, your windows client is only going to be looking for one IA_NA unless you have written your own DHCP client (maybe it will ask for an IA_PD if it has somehow been configured to be a router - i've never tried that).

i see that you haven't read the rfc. it's okay, i haven't read it either ;) instead of reading long rfcs, moreover, written in a bad style, often allowing ambiguity of interpretation, you can think about how to design this thing if you could design it. the first thing is the starting point. at this point, the server knows(or rather assumes. its assumptions are based on its config and the configuration of an interfaces it serves) almost everything about the network, and the client practically nothing(he knows his mac and how to search for the server. he doesn't even know if there is a server at all)- this is a typical situation, to get out of which dhcp was created. can a client request multiple networks in such a situation? if so, then he doesn't really need dhcp. i'll give you an analogy. you go into a restaurant to eat. if you have food with you, then you don't need to go to a restaurant. so, you're in a restaurant. can you order any dishes? no, you can't. first of all, you need someone who will accept your order. secondly, you need a menu, because you may be a vegetarian, and there may not be such dishes in a restaurant. so you call the waiter and ask him to show you the menu with all available dishes, choose the ones you need and place an order. or you can turn around and leave. there is no need to reinvent the wheel, this is a typical situation that can be found in life every day. and when you say "did your client request multiple networks from the server before the server offered him just one?", then you assume the existence of a f**king time machine from the client! :D