[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Tue Nov 15 13:46:58 UTC 2022

> but i want several addresses AT THE SAME TIME. this is stated in rfc8415. and
> here is what is said about rfc8415 in the kea documentation:
> --------
> The server will allocate, renew, or rebind a maximum of one lease for a
> particular IA option (IA_NA or IA_PD) sent by a client. RFC 8415 allows for
> multiple addresses or prefixes to be allocated for a single IA.
> --------
> MAXIMUM ONE! ;) but of course i tried, since i don't have a mailing address
> ending in "isc.org" ;) here is the config for the test:
> --------

rfc8415 also says that your client has to request multiple IA_NA and/or IA_TA and/or IA_PD in the same packet.  Is your Windows client doing that?  Once more, you can confirm with wireshark.  That is the first thing to confirm before you start pointing fingers at Kea and saying it won't support this or that feature.

> the behavior of the server has changed, now there are two "solicit" requests and
> two "advertise" responses, but each response has one IA_NA. it seems that this
> is not what it should be according to rfc8415. the trouble is that although the
> proposed addresses in each response are different(go in order), but they are
> both from the same (first in the config) network, and the windows client
> selects the last one from them.
> what am i wrong about?

> ps: version is 2.2.0, but i looked at the changelog and there are no changes on
> this issue

In my experience, your windows client is only going to be looking for one IA_NA unless you have written your own DHCP client (maybe it will ask for an IA_PD if it has somehow been configured to be a router - i've never tried that).