[Kea-users] Monitoring a Kea cluster

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Dec 27 06:10:54 UTC 2022

As I upgraded my isc-kea cluster to Debian 11.6 last week and rebooted
the 2 nodes we noticed that initially there were no DHCP-leases offered
until I restarted the isc-kea-dhcp4 service (on the primary node of the
cluster).

Maybe a one time issue, I don't know.

-

In consequence I´d like to monitor the DHCP-services somehow.

I don't run a "real" monitoring like Nagios or Icinga at that site, but
use "monit" for basic monitoring ...

I added a check to monitor the isc-kea-dhcp4 service itself: does it
run, does it behave, if not, restart it.

And I added a check to monitor the timestamp of the leases file: if not
changed for N minutes, alert me.

That is very basic and not even fully OK IMO: the leases file gets
rotated ... etc etc

I browsed for a check tool and found "dhcping". So far I wasn't able to
get a working reply out of that tool :-( ...

How do you monitor Kea, are there any recommended ways of doing that?