[Kea-users] Kea Packaging Standardization

Dan Theisen djt at isc.org
Mon Aug 15 14:01:33 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

I've been working on standardizing the packages that we provide across
distributions, and I would like to ask for input from users of Kea. The
goal of this standardization effort is to ensure that the Kea packages
that ISC provides for various different distributions are as similar as
possible, and that the distribution specific requirements which cause
differences between the packaging and deployment of Kea on systems are
clearly documented. This should reduce the number of surprises at
packaging and run time, make the Kea user experience more consistent
across different distributions, and simplify supporting customers in
different environments.

I've written a proposal which you can find at the bottom of the page
here:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/wikis/designs/packaging#package-standardization-across-distros

There is also discussion between my team and I on the matter that can be
found here: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/2220

Please let me know by Thursday of this week if you have any comments,
questions, or concerns about our approach.

Thanks,
Dan Theisen
Kea Software Engineering