[Kea-users] Get a notification as soon as the control agent stops working

askingStudent stu222510 at mail.uni-kiel.de
Thu Apr 15 14:28:29 UTC 2021

Hello everybody,

I'm currently testing kea and I'm simulating possible scenarios.
Doing so I tumbled over the following scenario:

In my test-network two kea-dhcp-servers are running using the High
Availability Desing "load balancing".
They are communicating over the control agent. If the primary sever stops
working, the secondary
does all the work. So far that's working great.
However, what if at least one of the control agents stops working? Worst
case: The control agent on the
primary server. Now two perfectly fine working dhcp server are processing
100% of the incoming requests,
because the secondary is not receiving an answer to its "ha-heartbeat" from
the primary.
That would cause a lot of trouble like multiple leases for the same client
at the same time.

Is there a way to prevent this scenario? Like, is it possible that the
dhcpv4 or dhcpv6 server gets notificated
in the exact moment when the control agent stops working and shuts itself
down? Hence, only one dhcpv4 or dhcpv6
server would remain running in the network.

Sadly, I couldn't find any available solution (like a hook or a deamon I
just have to configure).
Thank you for your time.
With regards,
askingStudent