[Kea-users] Updating kea.conf - does it need a daemon restart

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Thu Sep 14 14:39:49 UTC 2017

On 9/14/17 10:10 AM, Neil Briscoe wrote:

> One of the main reasons I have gone down the KEA route over the older
> DHCPd is due to the fact that the documentation says I can
> add/change/remove scopes from the configuration file *_without having
> to restart the daemon_* – which is important as I have approx. 10,000
> subnet scopes…!
>

> At the minute, during testing, I am restarting the daemon every time,
> which isn’t a problem.
>

> Q – if I made changes to the kea.conf file (adding scopes), does the
> kea daemon feed these in and make the changes active automatically?
>
> Q – if it does it automatically, how often does it check/reload the
> configuration?

It does not detect the changes automatically.   You can instruct Kea to
reload it a couple of ways:

1. Send the process SIGHUP
2. Sendi the config-reload command via control channel (See Kea Admin
guide: Chapter 16, Management API
http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#ctrl-channel)

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder