[Kea-users] pefdhcp help

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Fri Sep 8 14:21:03 UTC 2017

Nicolas Javier Pantazis writes:
> Hello Francis, good morning. Thank you for the reply, they do match here is
> the output of the dhcpdump:
>
> 19:11:48.300621 IP6 2001:db8:beef:55::3.dhcpv6-client >
> 2001:db8:beef:55::2.dhcpv6-server: dhcp6 solicit

=> and lsof? Kea won't listen on 2001:db8:beef:55::2 by default.

> The issue is very strange that is why I need your help. The strange thing
> is that perfdhcp worked perfectly for ipv4.

=> DHCPv4 uses (by default, you can change the service socket type)
a BPF/LPF/etc socket, DHCPv6 uses standard UDP.

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>

> > Can you check solicits are sent to an address the server is listen to?
> > (you should have the destination address in your dump, for the server
> > lsof displays open file (including socket) details).
> > If not match, you should modify the perfdhcp argument or the Kea server
> > config (cf interface configuration in DHCPv4 server guide).

PS: you can have a kernel filter (ip6tables on Linux) which drops
incoming packets. Usually tcpdump/wireshark/etc can see them but
they are not delivered to the server.