[Kea-users] dynamic dns hostname conflict

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Thu May 18 19:00:48 UTC 2017

On 5/18/17 1:21 PM, professor geek wrote:
> Hello the list,
>
> As far as i know same behaviour apply when we use kea for dhcpv4 and
> dhcpv6 with ddns for the same client on the same dns zone.
> The only workaround today
> <http://airmail.calendar/2017-05-18%2012:00:00%20GMT+2> is to have
> separate dns zone for v4 and v6 lease.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pr
>
> On 18 May 2017 at 18:14:28 , Thomas Markwalder (tmark at isc.org
> <mailto:tmark at isc.org>) wrote:
>
>> On 5/1/17 6:19 AM, Thomas Markwalder wrote:
>>> Hello Pawel:
>>>

>>> Kea's DDNS process, kea-dhcp-ddns, implements conflict
>>> detection/resolution as described in RFC 4703
>>> (http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4703).  This behavior
>>> restricts DDNS updates for a given FQDN (hostname), to a single
>>> client as identified by its DHCID.  Therefore,  if  one client
>>> creates DNS entries for a hostname, "example.host.com
>>> <http://example.host.com>", and later a different client attempts to
>>> add/replace/delete those entries,  the updates will be rejected.
>>> The intent is to prevent different clients from owning the same name.
>>>
>>> I did notice that we do not describe this in our administrator's
>>> guide as we should.  I have created a bug ticket to update the
>>> documentation (http://kea.isc.org/ticket/5275#ticket).  We may
>>> include a configurable parameter that turns this policy on and
>>> off.   If you this functionality you would like to see added,  your
>>> cause would be aided by opening an enhancement ticket:
>>> http://kea.isc.org/newticket .  This helps us know what issues are
>>> important to our users.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Thomas Markwalder
>>> ISC Software Engineering

>> Hello Pawel:
>>

>> Just wanted to update you on your feature request to be able to turn
>> on/off conflict resolution in kea-dhcp-ddns (aka D2).  We will keep
>> it in mind for future releases, but has been deemed not-in-scope for
>> our next release Kea 1.3 which should be out sometime in 2017 (firm
>> date is TBD).
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Thomas Markwalder
>>
>> ISC Software Engineering

Hello Pr:

You're correct.  We do have a ticket, http://kea.isc.org/ticket/4519,
that calls for Kea to support receiving DUIDs from v4 clients in order
to support dual-stack environments. It's not on the schedule for 1.3
which is underway now, but it is on our radar.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering