[Kea-users] Multiple ipv6 addresses/prefix reservations

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Feb 23 14:46:53 UTC 2017

W dniu 23.02.2017 o 11:35, Olivier Clavel pisze:
> On http://kea.isc.org/wiki/KeaKnownIssues I see that  /"/Static
> reservation of multiple IPv6 addresses or multiple IPv6 prefixes is not
> supported." was specified for versions up to 1.0.0 but as been removed
> on 1.1.0. Does that mean I can reserve several IPv6 addresses on
> different network/pools for a single client ? Anything special to deal
> with in the configuration ?
Having a reservation for the same host in different subnets worked for a
long time, for both v4 and v6. That's the case when client moves to a
different location in your network.

Now, DHCPv6 allows for a client to get more than one address and/or
prefix and given location. To support that, the client should send more
than one IA_NA (for address) and/or IA_PD (for prefix). Kea supports
that for a long time.

What has recently been improved is the ability to reserve multiple
addresses or prefixes at one location. To take advantage of that, your
client needs to send multiple IA_NA and/or IA_PD.

I just noticed that there's a small bug in the documentation. Section
8.3 incorrectly states how to reserve multiples addresses:

INCORRECT TEXT:
{
   "hw-address": "00:01:02:03:04:05",
   "ip-addresses": [ "2001:db8:1::101, 2001:db8:1::102" ]
},

SHOULD BE:
{
   "hw-address": "00:01:02:03:04:05",
   "ip-addresses": [ "2001:db8:1::101", "2001:db8:1::102" ]
},

I just pushed this correction to master. The user's guide is being
regenerated daily, so this link should be correct tomorrow:
https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#host-reservation-v6

Tomek