[Kea-users] Option 43 - Vendor-encapsulated-options

Duane Wylie duane.wylie at eatel.com
Thu Aug 24 20:19:51 UTC 2017

In the process of testing Kea for our environment, I have uncovered a peculiar use-case.  We have a particular vendor whose gear requires option 43 to contain a string.

In our ISC DHCP server, we do this with (hex for the string "SWRD"):

option vendor-encapsulated-options 53:57:52:44;

which shows up in a tcpdump as (decimal for the string "SWRD"):

   Vendor-Option Option 43, length 4: 83.87.82.68

I'm trying to find out to accomplish this with Kea.  Option 43 is already defined as type 'empty', and I can't override this in the kea.conf file.  I haven't tried to implement this as a sub-option, as it would prepend the string with a code and length.  Any ideas how I could make this work?  Could I conceivably override the option in a hook?  Or would I still face the same restrictions with overriding the option type?

Duane Wylie