[Kea-users] DHCP4 MySQL Host Reservation Troubles

Bryan Perry bryan at sfcn.org
Thu May 12 17:37:02 UTC 2016

Thank You Marcin.

You have understood exactly my problem, and it's worth noting that 3
subnets is only the beginning. Ultimately there will be upwards of 30
subnets, with 2 or 3 being dedicated to static clients. This would be 30
reservations stored and managed for each of several hundred clients.
That would get unruly very quickly.

It seems like Kea should check for reservations before assigning a
subnet in order to avoid this problem, but there may be another way
around this.

If I use the subnet4_select hook to intercept the request, check the
database for reservations in a callout function, modify the assigned
subnet and send the data back from the callout, then Kea should be able
to process the request using the subnet ID associated with the
reservation. I posted a few minutes ago asking for a code example of how
to do the modification of the subnet ID.

That's the only solution I could come up with to work around this
limitation. Did I miss another or better option?

And really, Thanks for the help.
Bryan