[Kea-users] DHCP4 MySQL Host Reservation Troubles

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Thu May 12 17:27:05 UTC 2016

Hi Bryan,

Let me summarize your issue, so as we check if I understand it correctly:

- You have 3 subnets where you have DHCP clients, of which some have and
some don't have static reservations.
- Router (relay agent) will use one of 3 different giaddrs when relaying
messages to the server over a single link (relay-server link) connected
to a particular interface on the DHCP server.
- For clients for which addresses should be assigned dynamically we want
the server to use giaddr to pick the correct subnet.
- For other clients, which have static addresses, it is possible that
the giaddr may vary and in 2 out of 3 cases the client will not have a
subnet corresponding to his static reservation selected. As a result the
client will get a dynamically assigned address, rather than static one.
- You want to define a static reservation for a given client's MAC
address which should be used regardless of the giaddr appearing in a
relayed message.

The problem with this approach is that our host reservations are
strictly associated with a subnet (subnet id) selected for a client.
This selection takes place even before we check for host reservations.
The subnet id (and MAC address) is used as an input to search for static
reservations for a client.

I need to think a bit more about this issue, but for a time being, would
it be simply possible to insert 3 reservations for the same host,
differing by the subnet identifier? In that case, no matter which subnet
id is selected for the client, the server should always find a suitable
reservation. That may be not viable if I misunderstood your use case :-).

This also has an issue that you have redundant information in the
database and this doesn't scale well with many reservations.

Thanks,
Marcin Siodelski
ISC