[Kea-users] kea package in RHEL ?

Jiri Popelka jpopelka at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 18:11:13 UTC 2015

On 9.12.2015 13:23, Tomek Mrugalski wrote:
> On 09/12/15 11:10, Antoine Roly wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> According to the documentation, Kea is officially supported on RedHat
>> Enterprise Linux.
> That means that to be best of our knowledge Kea should be able to run
> RHEL. If you observe otherwise, it is considered a bug or lack of
> functionality. Please report such cases and we'll see what we can do
> about it.
>
>> Do you plan to include a Kea package in the official
>> RHEL repositories, in the epel repo,... ?

Hi,

official RHEL-7 repo definitely not, but EPEL-7 [1] shouldn't be a
problem as we've already had Kea in Fedora [2] for a few releases.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
[2] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/kea.git/tree/

> You overestimate our powers. We do not have a say what goes into RHEL
> repositories. :)
>
> Seriously speaking, we tend to not prepare distribution specific files.
> Developers time is best spent working on features and bugfixes. The
> results are beneficial to all users, regarding of the distribution or
> operating system they're using.

Totally agree.

> Our hope is that packages will be done by people who are experienced
> with packaging software for specific distributions or operating systems.
> We will do our best to accommodate any changes necessary, providing they
> won't conflict with other distros. In particular, we do not want to
> include system specific scripts. For example, some time ago we received
> scripts for systemd for distribution X. We didn't include those scripts
> in Kea sources, because we know that for distribution Y those may look
> slightly different. And since there's no single "right" way to write
> those scripts, we simply chose to not do it.

Last time you mentioned a contrib/ directory for such files, which I
consider a nice idea. Systemd has been integral part of latest versions
of most linux distros and such files (http://kea.isc.org/ticket/3529)
might help many users. You have my permission :) to incorporate
suggestions from other distros maintainers - the systemd unit files'
syntax is so straightforward that I'm sure it'll be only cosmetic
changes and I don't think my version is the only "right".
On the other hand I understand your concerns.

https://youtu.be/G6xr6VKg7sE    ;-)

> Now that we published 1.0.0-beta, it may be a good time to start packaging Kea.

During planing/preparing of next major RHEL version (i.e. RHEL-8) we'll
need to decide either for ISC-dhcp or Kea, because we won't be able to
support both.
It'd be nice to have ISC-dhcp for dhcpv4 (because our customers are very
conservative and dhcpv4 seems to be second class citizen in Kea) and Kea
for dhcpv6, but that's unrealistic, so it's possible that RHEL-8 will
still be shipped with ISC-dhcp - but that's future and I myself might be
surprised.

--
Jiri