[Kea-users] kea package in RHEL ?

Antoine Roly antoine.roly at unamur.be
Wed Dec 9 12:59:30 UTC 2015

> You overestimate our powers. We do not have a say what goes into RHEL
> repositories. :)

You're totally right ! :) My question was not properly formulated...

> Seriously speaking, we tend to not prepare distribution specific files.
> Developers time is best spent working on features and bugfixes. The
> results are beneficial to all users, regarding of the distribution or
> operating system they're using.

Ok, that was what I was wondering: if distribution specific files were
planned or not.

> Our hope is that packages will be done by people who are experienced
> with packaging software for specific distributions or operating systems.
> We will do our best to accommodate any changes necessary, providing they
> won't conflict with other distros. In particular, we do not want to
> include system specific scripts. For example, some time ago we received
> scripts for systemd for distribution X. We didn't include those scripts
> in Kea sources, because we know that for distribution Y those may look
> slightly different. And since there's no single "right" way to write
> those scripts, we simply chose to not do it.

That makes sense, obviously.

> Now that we published 1.0.0-beta, it may be a good time to start packaging Kea.

Indeed. It would be a good thing to have Kea in the package management
system of some distros. It would be easier for admins to deploy and use,
and would facilitate Kea's adoption.

> Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks.

A.