DISCOVERs from "unkown network segment" - suppress log messages?

Christina Siegenthaler tina at ieu.uzh.ch
Sat Nov 26 10:21:53 UTC 2022

Hi John

> Am 25.11.2022 um 15:58 schrieb John W. Blue <john.blue at rrcic.com>:
>
> Tina,
>
> As I am sure you are aware DHCPDISCOVER is a broadcast message.  If you are getting these from networks that you do not administrate it would seem to suggest there are engineering flaws with the segmentation of the network or the configuration of this new Huawei hardware.
>
> Based upon the wording of your email this extra traffic seems to coincide with the arrival of the new hardware so I would recommend you focus your troubleshooting efforts on that.
>
> Assuming your network is properly segmented then there is something in the Huawei config that is flipping WAN side broadcast traffic into your network.

You are correct. The problem is indeed the new hardware, but it is not „misconfigured“ as such, it simply doesn’t have the option to configure it to relay DHCP requests from different subnets to different DHCP servers - it can only relay all requests to all servers. Our network admins talked to Huawei, they confirmed that and we filed a feature request for this, but we’re still waiting…

Tina

> Good hunting.
>
> John
>
> Sent from Nine

Dr. Tina Siegenthaler

IT support

Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstr. 190
8057 Zürich

tel : ++41 44 6354891