ISC DHCPv6-BIND9 DDNS update problem

Simon dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 19:48:50 UTC 2022

Mirsad Todorovac <mirsad.todorovac at alu.unizg.hr> wrote:

>> So you need to go to them and point out what the problem is, and what needs to be done to fix it. Of course, if they don’t want to then you’re down to internal politics and potentially you end up reporting back to management that you can’t implement what’s asked for because others are actively sabotaging the network (that’s how I’d describe it if supposed network admins are doing nothing to deal with rogue services like this.)
>
> Hi, Simon,
>
> There is a quote that says that it is wrong to attributed to active sabotaging what can be explained with neglect and stupidity.
>
> I believe in the most cases these are simply the default settings for the devices. Probably someone in those companies thinks that it is a good idea to have a dozen of DHCPv6 servers who do not talk to each other and have no ideas of other server's IPv6 range - all on the same subnet.

True, but all the same, a network admin is abrogating their responsibilities if they don’t deal with the problem.
Yes, vendors ship stuff with “interesting” defaults, but that’s not an excuse to allow those stupid defaults to kill the network. Just think, if there were half a dozen devices on a network all offering IPv4 DHCP services with rogue parameters, I think you’d find the admins doing something about it PDQ. If they can’t, or won’t, do the same for IPv6 then that suggests they are sabotaging (whether by wilful choice or just plain disinterest) attempts to run an IPv6 network.

Just my 2d worth, Simon