Failover + Static host definitions

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Jul 14 15:22:13 UTC 2022

I have failover set up, and while I have a dynamic range, all known devices have static reservations configured.

Except for what has to be different between primary and secondary, the configuration files are the same; they both have the same host definitions.

Separating the configuration file into two parts: the main part with the primary or secondary information and pool definitions, which then includes on both an identical copy of  the file with the static host information, seems like it would simplify matters; you’d only be editing one file and copying it (and restarting both DHCP servers, presumably). Or you could script something really kewl with omshell to do both maybe, but if you make a mistake, you mess up both at the same time. At least if you’re editing a file, you can make sure the primary is behaving after restarting it before copying the edited file over to the secondary and restarting it too.

Putting the included file on a share that both can access would NOT be as good as it sounds, since that’s one more thing that has to be up in the right order, and could break.