per-pool routers in dhcpd.conf?

Michael De Roover isc at nixmagic.com
Sun Jul 26 05:00:26 UTC 2020

On 7/25/20 4:23 PM, Alexis Huxley wrote:
> I now want to force 'known dynamic hosts'' to use a different gateway.
>
> (In case you're curious: Since, when using wifi, my Android
> phone silently refuses to use the DNS server proposed by the above
> dhcpd.conf, I now want to change the phone's gateway to a masqueraing
> Linux box, where I can hopefully use iptables to force the phone to
> use the DNS server proposed by the DHCP server, and thereby block ads.)

I have a similar setup at home with host declarations and a set of DNS
servers being pushed to the devices. On all of my Android devices they
seem to be taking these settings normally. So it might be worth
double-checking the client devices before doing such masqueraded setup
(which could end up being overkill).

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Private DNS settings in newer
versions of Android overriding the DNS settings pushed by the DHCP
server, as well as any VPN connections. Perhaps one or both of these are
active and interfering?

I don't know if this is relevant, but in my dhcpd.conf I also have the
options for domain/search and DNS servers to use above the host settings.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Michael De Roover