Microsoft Disable Netbios Option

Anderson, Charles R cra at wpi.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:27:08 UTC 2018

You need to set the vendor-option-space.  You see, option 43 is "shared" among many different vendors and each vendor can have a different format for sub-options inside option 43.

For example, to set up the option space for APC vendor option codes, use this:

class "APC" {
  match if option vendor-class-identifier = "APC";
  option APC.cookie "1APC";
  option server.vendor-option-space APC;
}

and for Microsoft, this should work:

option space MSFT;
option MSFT.disable-netbios code 1 = unsigned integer 8;
option MSFT.release-on-shutdown code 2 = unsigned integer 32;
option MSFT.default-router-ttl code 3 = unsigned integer 32;

class "Microsoft Windows" {
  match if option vendor-class-identifier = "MSFT";
  option server.vendor-option-space MSFT;
}
class "Microsoft Windows 2000" {
  match if option vendor-class-identifier = "MSFT 5.0";
  option server.vendor-option-space MSFT;
}
class "Microsoft Windows 98/Me" {
  match if option vendor-class-identifier = "MSFT 98";
}