Microsoft Disable Netbios Option

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:09:00 UTC 2018

Hello dear list,

I try to configure "Microsoft Disable Netbios Option".
If I use:
option space MSFT;
option MSFT.nbt  code 1 = unsigned integer 32;
option MSFT.nbt 2;

nothing happens. The client has a acitvated the parameter "Netbios
over TCP/IP" (seen with ipconfig) after getting the IP via DHCP. But
the client sends in the discover in the "parameter request list"
(option 55) the options 43, but the server doesn't sends the option 43
back. (sniffed with wireshark)

If I remove the config from above and configure:

option vendor-encapsulated-options 01:04:00:00:00:02;

the client get's the option 43 from the server and the parameter
"Netbios over TCP/IP" (seen with ipconfig) is disabled as expected.

Why is one configration working and the other not?

(all configurations are done in the global section, I use ISC server
version 4.3.3 on SLES12SP3)

Thanks Meike