Recommendation for redundancy

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Wed Mar 7 15:19:51 UTC 2018

In addition to failover, which is active/active no matter how you set the split value and which comes with its own headaches, you might also consider an appliance-based solution that offers HA clustering.

I work for BlueCat, and we offer dhcpd on Linux including features designed to support failover. But we also have an HA clustering feature which can work between data centers, as long as a layer 2 VLAN can be stretched between the two sites. Then only one appliance would be active at a time, with all leases written to disk in both servers. The cluster has a VIP, an IP address which floats between the two appliances.

I apologize for sounding like a commercial. Please note that BlueCat is not the only vendor offering this kind of solution. Different vendor offerings have different strengths and weaknesses, so you should evaluate which one best fits your needs.

Hope this helps.
Chris Buxton

Sent from my iPhone