DHCP server to handle hostname.

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Fri Sep 23 20:08:59 UTC 2016

"dhcp-users" <dhcp-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> wrote on 09/23/2016
12:59:38 AM:

> From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
> To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
> Date: 09/23/2016 01:00 AM
> Subject: Re: DHCP server to handle hostname.
> Sent by: "dhcp-users" <dhcp-users-bounces at lists.isc.org>
>
> durwin at mgtsciences.com wrote:
>
> > I have some embedded devices with minimal OS.  I am not sure the
> DHCP client has compiled ability to send hostname.  I have seen this
> used while searching for help on this subject.
> >
> > host e2rb_004 {
> >         option host-name "e2rb_004";
> >         ddns-hostname "e2rb_004";
> >         hardware ethernet 00:10:60:31:b2:a0;
> >         fixed-address 172.23.93.38;
> > }
> >

> > This does not add the hostname in DNS.
>
> Are you aware that host statements with fixed addresses don't follow
> the same path as dynamic leases ? SO there is no lease structure
> generated, and the server never expires it, and so normal DDNS
> actions don't occur ?
>

> > update-static-leases on;
>
> This will trigger a DDNS insert/update every time the client leases
> the address. However, because there is no lease for the server to
> expire, it will never remove the DNS entry.
>
> If you don't need a static address, I believe you can just omit the
> fixed-address declaration. The client will then get a dynamic
> address assignment, and DDNS will work properly (the entries being
> deleted when teh lease expires).

Thank you for this information.  I will have to consider this.

Regards

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachments to the original message.