DHCP server to handle hostname.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 06:59:38 UTC 2016

durwin at mgtsciences.com wrote:

> I have some embedded devices with minimal OS.  I am not sure the DHCP client has compiled ability to send hostname.  I have seen this used while searching for help on this subject.
>
> host e2rb_004 {
>         option host-name "e2rb_004";
>         ddns-hostname "e2rb_004";
>         hardware ethernet 00:10:60:31:b2:a0;
>         fixed-address 172.23.93.38;
> }
>

> This does not add the hostname in DNS.

Are you aware that host statements with fixed addresses don't follow the same path as dynamic leases ? SO there is no lease structure generated, and the server never expires it, and so normal DDNS actions don't occur ?

> update-static-leases on;

This will trigger a DDNS insert/update every time the client leases the address. However, because there is no lease for the server to expire, it will never remove the DNS entry.

If you don't need a static address, I believe you can just omit the fixed-address declaration. The client will then get a dynamic address assignment, and DDNS will work properly (the entries being deleted when teh lease expires).