Question on DHCP lease expiration

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Feb 27 20:24:18 UTC 2016

Patrick Trapp <ptrapp at nex-tech.com> wrote:

> There was a similar thread to this on this list over the last few days. I believe reserved addresses were suggested rather than static, but you will probably benefit from looking at the archive from the last week to see if that OP was truly looking at the same situation as you.

It was a different requirement in that thread - but it's worth reading anyway.

For the OP, it sounds like reserved leases would indeed be the right tool. The only issue that might crop up is that while static assignments can use the MAC address only, reserved leases will use the Client-ID if provided - in the same way that normal leases are handled.

For all normal leases, the primary key for identifying the client is the Client ID if provided, and the MAC address only if no Client ID is provided.