leases file not growing in recover mode

Nick Urbanik nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 18 03:53:15 UTC 2016

Dear Folks,

On 18/12/16 12:59 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>On 18/12/16 12:47 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>>I have two busy pairs of DHCP servers, each with one partner in
>>partner-down mode, with the other partner in recover mode.  MCLT is
>>one hour.
>>
>>One pair is doing fine, with the machine in recover mode dutifully
>>building its file of leases.  There is a lot of chatter on port 519.
>>
>>However the other pair worry me: the lease file is unchanged in size,
>>after quite a while of recover/partner-down modes.  There is not much
>>happening on port 519.
>>
>>Any suggestions on ways to encourage the second pair to talk together more?
>
>wireshark shows only message type of "Contact (11)" between the
>servers where the lease file does not change in size on the machine in
>recover mode, while the failover protocol for the active pair shows a
>great deal of lease information in the failover exchanges on port 519.

Without any extra prodding, the primary (which is in recover mode)
began chatting madly to the secondary (which is in partner-down mode).

The lease file is growing rapidly.

The pause of several hours puzzles me.  One little item: the hard disk
filled on the primary last night, and I cleared space and rebooted the
server.  But the communication using the failover protocol was very
minimal for some hours after that.  Then suddenly, it starts working again.
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24
I disclaim, therefore I am.