debugging on the DHCP server

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:39:00 UTC 2014

Hello Christian,

thanx for reply,

> for debugging purposes I usually capture the traffic using tcpdump and then
> open the resulting file with wireshark for deeper analysis.

Yes for deep inspection, I use tcpdump like this:
tcpdump -i eth0 -vvv -x -s 1500 '((port 67 or port 68) and ((udp[38:4]
= 0x<last 4 bytes of mac>)))'

Thats only in demegency caese possible. In our network, we have about
3.000 dhcp clients and for debugging reasons with tcpdump,
I took a very short lease time. But this is only for a short period possible.

So, to document the transactions to find errors in  emergency case
faster, it would be nice to log this like described..
At the moment, we try to roll out streamed VDI Clients ... Over the
first period, I'll log all events, because there exist
some not repeatable client behaviors (from the VDI Client) in the
network at the moment...

> DHCP Problems when they exist tend to require deep inspection anyway so it's
> easiert to just grab the full traffic and be done with it.

Yes, thats right :-)

Thanks Meike