debugging on the DHCP server

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Mon Jul 14 12:10:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Meike Stone wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it possible, to log each DHCP transaction for debugging with
> options (of my choice) in athe logfile?
>
> All possible Clientsmessages
> - DHCPDISCOVER
> - DHCPREQUEST
> - DHCPDECLINE
> - DHCPRELEASE
> - DHCPINFORM
>
> and the Serveranswers
> - DHCPOFFER
> - DHCPACK
> - DHCPNAK
>
> Additional (as cherry on the cake), I would be pleased, If I could do
> a Filter to a dedicated Client MAC address.
>

> I tried something like this (but it is not really satisfying ...):
<snipp/>

for debugging purposes I usually capture the traffic using tcpdump and then open the resulting file with wireshark for deeper analysis.

DHCP Problems when they exist tend to require deep inspection anyway so it's easiert to just grab the full traffic and be done with it.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2