dhcpd.conf logging statement documentation

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 27 12:18:27 UTC 2012

dhcpd cannot log directly to a file using commands in dhcpd.conf, it only
logs via syslog.

Perhaps capturing the stderr stream might work for you. This is from the
dhcpd man page:

     -d   Send log messages to  the  standard  error  descriptor.
          This  can  be  useful  for debugging, and also at sites
          where a complete log of all dhcp activity must be  kept
          but  syslogd  is  not  reliable  or otherwise cannot be
          used.   Normally, dhcpd will log all output  using  the
          syslog(3)   function  with  the  log  facility  set  to
          LOG_DAEMON.  Note that -d implies -f (the  daemon  will
          not fork itself into the background).

Usage would be something like

    dhcpd -d 2> file.log

The logging example below is in the section on DNS updates, and is for
configuring logging for the BIND dns server, not dhcpd. The documentation
is in the BIND Administrator's Reference Manual, select the version on
this page http://www.isc.org/software/bind/documentation

In the man page the sentence immediately preceding the example is:

     You may wish to enable logging of DNS updates  on  your  DNS
     server.   To do so, you might write a logging statement like
     the following:

regards,
-glenn