Diferent dhcp relay

jeffrey j donovan donovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Tue Oct 11 15:12:20 UTC 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:54 AM, André wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a dhcp server and recently I needed to add a second relay that will connect to this server.
 When you talk about relays,.. are you talking about UDP helper relays ?

[ dhcpd ]--A.x.x.x/24---[ relay1 ]---B.x.x.x/24 --{ client }
              |--A.x.x.x/24---[ relay 2]---C.x.x.x/24 --{ client }

does your setup look similar to this ^ ?

> My relays are on the networks
> 10.1
> and 10.2
>
> This is a cable network so cm's will be served from 10.1 and 10.2
> Due to equipment restrictions I require to use the dhcp giaddr of 10.1.x.1 and 10.2.x.2 for all the hosts
> requesting a IP address.

are these two subnets on the same physical broadcast zone ? or are the on separate VLANS ?

> To solve this I created to shared networks
> The cpe hosts in share net 1 work well no issues the cm's get online ok
>
> My problem is in the new equipment in share net 2 cm's get online well,
> cpe's don't they allways get
> DHCPDISCOVER from 00:14:2a:xc:xx:xc via x.x.x.x: unknown client
>
> My only way to distinct the hosts at this moment is
> CM's have docsis vendor class and have a host { } declaration
>
> CPE's use de remote-id that's obtained from the relay
>
> I'm missing something in the config for the second shared-network or something is wrong
>
> Any sugestions ?
>
> Best regards,
> FR

greetings