Multiple DHCP Servers with DDNS Best Practice/Workaround?

Colin Simpson Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com
Mon May 16 22:37:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 18:02 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Thinking some more, it may be worth checking the exact update command
> used in the current code. If the deletion is of "any A record
> belonging to <FQDN>" then things will break. On the other hand, it's
> quite possible the deletion command could be to delete a specific A
> record - in which case server A would in fact leave the record alone.
> Having failed to delete the A record, it may well then not try to
> delete the PTR record either. It will however scatter error messages
> throughout the logs.

I'm not familiar with the code but from a quick glance. The function
ddns_fwd_srv_rem1, seems to suggest that if it can't find the A it still
tries the PTR removal.

case DNS_R_NXDOMAIN:
         ddns_update_lease_text(ddns_cb, NULL);

         /* Do the next operation */
         if ((ddns_cb->flags & DDNS_UPDATE_PTR) != 0) {
	/* if we have zone information get rid of it */

But I'm very willing to admit ignorance on this.

I guess I'll have to try at some point to test this. Unless anyone else
is very familiar with this and can answer this straight off.

Thanks

Colin

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.