M and O bit implementation

M Kaushal m.kaushal at tcs.com
Fri May 6 09:49:39 UTC 2011

Hi Steinar

Thanks for help.

According to my understanding on this, we will have to introduce some new
daemon process which will broadcast Router Solicitation messages and check
Router Advertisements for M/O bits and then trigger DHCPv6 client daemon
accordingly.

I will really appreciate if you can help me with one more query here: ( I
really tried to search this on world wide web but no luck till now)

--> Is there any existing process on Linux / HP-UX  system which sends RS
like radvd on Linux and rtradvd on HP-UX which are RA daemons.

Thanks again.
-- Mukesh Kaushal

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |sthaug at nethelp.no                                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |m.kaushal at tcs.com                                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |dhcp-users at lists.isc.org                                                                                                                          |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |05/06/2011 02:17 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: M and O bit implementation                                                                                                                    |

> I have following queries regarding DHCPv6 and M/O bit set in RA (Router
> Advertisement) :
>
> 1. Can some one help me out with the concept of M and O bit in DHCPv6 ?

M and O are bits in the RA header, thus sent from router to client. M
tells the client to try to get an address using DHCPv6, O tells the
client to get "other" information via DHCPv6 (e.g. DNS servers, domain
name, NTP servers).

It is the *operating system* (either the kernel or some process) which
handles the RA messages, and thus it is the *operating* system* that
needs to react to the the M and O bits - for instance by communicating
with a DHCP client.

> 2. My current version of DHCPv6 does not support this feature. So how can
> implement this feature into DHCPv6 server/client ?

As mentioned above it is the operating system that needs to react to
the M and O bits, not the DHCPv6 server/client.

> 3. Does any version of ISC DHCPv6 support this M/O bit implementation ?

See above.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

and any attachments. Thank you