M and O bit implementation

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri May 6 08:47:11 UTC 2011

> I have following queries regarding DHCPv6 and M/O bit set in RA (Router
> Advertisement) :
>
> 1. Can some one help me out with the concept of M and O bit in DHCPv6 ?

M and O are bits in the RA header, thus sent from router to client. M
tells the client to try to get an address using DHCPv6, O tells the
client to get "other" information via DHCPv6 (e.g. DNS servers, domain
name, NTP servers).

It is the *operating system* (either the kernel or some process) which
handles the RA messages, and thus it is the *operating* system* that
needs to react to the the M and O bits - for instance by communicating
with a DHCP client.

> 2. My current version of DHCPv6 does not support this feature. So how can I
> implement this feature into DHCPv6 server/client ?

As mentioned above it is the operating system that needs to react to
the M and O bits, not the DHCPv6 server/client.

> 3. Does any version of ISC DHCPv6 support this M/O bit implementation ?

See above.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no