Unable to Ping / Shared Network

José Queiroz zekkerj at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:43:02 UTC 2011

2011/7/7 Barry Stear <bstear at gmail.com>

> That makes sense about the routing. Obviously I need to get my routing
> straightened out and then I will be "golden".
>
> What I am trying to accomplish is I want to separate unknown clients from
> known clients and only provide the unknown clients with Internet access but
> not allow them access to any samba shares on the network. I was thinking
> denying a subnet would be easier then denying a range of ips. I realize now
> that I might have made this more difficuly then needed.  I want to be able
> to VPN into the server as well which I think puts me in the same boat where
> I need a separate subnet for those clients.
>
> I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has made.

Suggestions...

1. Change your router from the Linux box to a L3 Switch, and create separate
VLANs for the internal/external users. Or...

2. Create a secondary address on your Linux box, acting as gateway for the
external users' address space.
i.e.

sudo ip addr add 192.168.100.1/24 dev eth0

This way, you'll have a true shared network, so you can serve 192.168.100.*
addresses on your dhcp server.
It may work, but I think it's a dirty solution.