Unable to Ping / Shared Network

Barry Stear bstear at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:30:39 UTC 2011

> The problem is that your 192.168.1.x hosts have no route to your Linux box.
>  Think about it.  192.168.1.5 wants to talk to 192.168.100.1.  It does so by
> sending packets to its default gateway (your Linksys), since the destination
> is not in the same subnet.  So far so good.  Now, your router does know
> about your Linux box - unfortunately, it knows it as 192.168.1.2, not as
> 192.168.100.1.  In fact, it knows nothing about the 192.168.100.x subnet at
> all except maybe that it occasionally sees some packets sourced from that
> IP, which it ignores because it does not belong to that subnet and has no
> route to it.
>
> The answer is to create a static route on the Linksys that route traffic
> for 192.168.100.x to 192.168.1.2.  An appropriate subnet mask will need to
> be used so the router knows how much of 192.168.100.x it should concern
> itself with (I'm assuming 255.255.255.0).
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> http://randomerror.wordpress.**com/2010/01/13/adding-an-ip-**
> alias-on-dd-wrt/<http://randomerror.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/adding-an-ip-alias-on-dd-wrt/>
>
> I did not fact check the info, but it should at least get you into the
> right area.
>
> I'm still not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this
> configuration.  Are there any other hosts in 192.168.100.x or is it just the
> Linux box?  Are you trying to create a DMZ of some sort?  If not, then using
> multiple IPs in different subnets on that box is probably just complicating
> matters.
>
> --
>  Dave Brenner - david at toledotel.com
> The Toledo Telephone Company, Inc.

That makes sense about the routing. Obviously I need to get my routing
straightened out and then I will be "golden".

What I am trying to accomplish is I want to separate unknown clients from
known clients and only provide the unknown clients with Internet access but
not allow them access to any samba shares on the network. I was thinking
denying a subnet would be easier then denying a range of ips. I realize now
that I might have made this more difficuly then needed.  I want to be able
to VPN into the server as well which I think puts me in the same boat where
I need a separate subnet for those clients.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has made.