Windows XP release renew - Changing classID

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Feb 10 08:43:48 UTC 2011

On 10 Feb 2011, at 08:18, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:

> I was expecting the classID to be a parameter important enough to make the server assign a new adress in the dedicated pool.

	That was a mistaken expectation: there isn't a "hierarchy of importance"
	like that! 8-)

	The RFC requires the server to keep client address changes to a minimum.
	This is (one reason) why the ISC server keeps details of leases which are
	no longer active.

	If you need to change a client's address, then you need either to change
	the client's identity or to change the server's configuration so that the
	undesired address is specifically forbidden for that client.

	If you have access to the client, you can set an ID string in the its
	configuration.  It's not something I'm familiar with, as I rarely have
	the necessary access.

	On the server, adding a "deny" rule for the relevant class to the
	specification of the pool which covers the undesired address is likely
	what you need.

	I hope this helps.

	Best regards,
	Niall O'Reilly