Windows XP release renew - Changing classID

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Feb 10 08:18:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

Here is a situation we observed with some windows XP clients :

- a host is staticaly setup, say in 192.168.1.10
- the dhcp server has a pool, reachable by one classID "myClass01" :
192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150
- changing the setup of the XP host, setting its classID "myClass01",
and setting it into DHCP mode
- on the XP host, running ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew
- the XP host sends the DHCP server a try to *KEEP* its old 1.10 IP
adress, and the server does *ACCEPT*

I was expecting the classID to be a parameter important enough to make
the server assign a new adress in the dedicated pool.

Next step :
- I have a second pool, with a different classID
- When I change the host classId, the same behaviour appears (host
asking old IP, and server acknowledging.

I'm a bit surprised.

What about you?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot