full socket buffers

Chris Marget chris at marget.com
Wed Feb 9 12:52:59 UTC 2011

A little background on the OS tunables, which may help the OP get his
problem straightened out.

Or not.  Frankly, the "it starts to fail after a few days" business makes it
sound like it's not directly a buffer problem, but rather a buffer servicing
problem.

There are usually two OS settings that are relevant.

One of them is a ceiling.  Applications are not allowed to configure their
socket buffer larger than the ceiling.

The other is the default size.  Applications my re-size their buffers
(probably with setsockopt) from the default, within the constraints of the
ceiling.

To get big buffers without application involvement usually requires tweaking
both of these.
Getting big buffers within the application usually requires tweaking only
the ceiling, because the default is irrelevant.

On some OSes, when the application requests a value larger than the ceiling,
the syscall returns a failure, and the buffer is unchanged.

On other OSes, when the application requests a value larger than the
ceiling, the syscall returns a success, but the buffer is actually
configured to the ceiling-limited size.  It's up to the application to know
about this possibility and test the size with getsockopt.