Is there any protection mechanism for a spamming dhcp client?

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Feb 3 13:17:16 UTC 2011

--On 3 February 2011 10:41:11 +0100 Jürgen Dietl
<juergen.dietl at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Till somebody powered off the printer the dhcp server got 590.000 dhcp
> requests. Of course the pool was empty.

Perhaps I am being a bit dumb here, but if the same device re-requests
an IP address, isn't it going to get the same entry from the pool (assuming
mac address and client-id are the same). If not, can you not segregate
it by assigning it a fixed IP? I am taking it configuring the printer
with a fixed IP is not an option.

If your dhcp server never needs to talk to the printer at all, you
can just ignore dhcp packets using ip tables filtering based
on MAC address. That would work well if you configured it with a static IP.

--
Alex Bligh