DHCP crashes due to corrupt lease file

Sushma Reddy sushmatuvva at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:49:29 UTC 2010

Hi Simon,

Thank you, This issue seems to be random. In past couple of months this has
happened twice. After I remove the lease from the lease file, DHCP
starts successfully and writes the same lease properly to the lease
file. Following is the lease entry for the same client in the leases file.
Everything works for some time, a month or so and dhcp crashes again with
corrupt uid.

lease 10.2.2.2 {

starts 4 2010/09/23 14:26:51;
ends 5 2010/09/24 14:26:51;
tstp 6 2010/09/25 02:26:51;
tsfp 6 2010/09/25 02:23:12;
cltt 4 2010/09/23 14:26:51;
binding state active;
next binding state expired;
hardware ethernet 18:a9:05:f3:47:11;
uid "\001\030\251\005\363G\021";
set ddns-fwd-name = "test.example.edu";
set ddns-txt = "319732a9091e353b8fcd9f01d446291e30";
set ddns-rev-name = "2.2.2.10.in-addr.arpa";
client-hostname "test";
}

lease 10.2.2.2 {

starts 4 2010/09/23 14:26:51;
ends 5 2010/09/24 14:26:51;
tstp 6 2010/09/25 02:26:51;
tsfp 6 2010/09/25 02:23:12;
cltt 4 2010/09/23 14:26:51;
binding state active;
next binding state expired;
hardware ethernet 18:a9:05:f3:47:11;
uid "\001\030\251\005\363G\021";
set ddns-fwd-name = "test.example.edu";
set ddns-txt = "319732a9091e353b8fcd9f01d446291e30";
set ddns-rev-name = "2.2.2.10.in-addr.arpa";
client-hostname "test";
}

I can take a packet capture but I am not sure if I will be able to reproduce
the issue.

Sushma