DHCP crashes due to corrupt lease file

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 06:52:45 UTC 2010

Sushma Reddy wrote:

>The lease file shows the following. This is the last line in the
>dhcpd.lease file on the primary.
>
>lease 10.2.2.2 {
>   starts 4 2010/09/23 14:18:29;
>   ends 5 2010/09/24 14:18:29;
>   tstp 6 2010/09/25 02:18:29;
>   tsfp 6 2010/09/25 02:15:15;
>   cltt 4 2010/09/23 14:18:29;
>   binding state active;
>   next binding state expired;
>   hardware ethernet 18:a9:05:f3:47:11;
>   uid "\

Can you use a traffic sniffer and capture the request packets from
this device ? My guess is that it's put an embedded <non-printing
something> at the front of it's ClientID (which gets stored as UID)
and that's causing the problem.

I've seen a different but related problem with a device that padded
out it's ClientID with nulls - causing DNS updates to fails.

--
Simon Hobson