best practice for moving subnets?

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Wed Nov 17 07:58:03 UTC 2010

> Datum: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:09:50 +0000
> Von: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
> Betreff: Re: best practice for moving subnets?

> >The straight forward approach, simply deleting the config on the
> >first pair and adding it on the other and then changing the
> >ip-helper-addresses on the router, would cause all the dynamic
> >clients to request new IP addresses which means loosing their
> >existing network sessions.
>
> Not if you copy the leases file :
> Stop server A1 & A2
> Copy leases file from (A1 or A2) to B1
> Start server B1
> Start server B2 and let it sync the leases from B1

I don't know if copying the complete leasefile would be a good idea in my case. The old serverpair is responsible for a big amount of subnets and only a few are to be moved to the new servers.

If I copy the complete leasefile to the new servers, I assume that leases from subnets not configured on the new pair would simply be dropped, right? But what about all the host-entries in the leasedatabase? I would have to delete them all manually, wouldn't I?

And the failoverstatments of the old failoverpair in the leasedatabase: Could they lead to problems when the new failoverpair is importing the leasedatabase?

--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome