best practice for moving subnets?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 18:09:50 UTC 2010

Tom Schmitt wrote:

>The straight forward approach, simply deleting the config on the
>first pair and adding it on the other and then changing the
>ip-helper-addresses on the router, would cause all the dynamic
>clients to request new IP addresses which means loosing their
>existing network sessions.

Not if you copy the leases file :
Stop server A1 & A2
Copy leases file from (A1 or A2) to B1
Start server B1
Start server B2 and let it sync the leases from B1

For doing this, it may be easier starting off with server B in
partner down mode - I'm sure someone more familiar with failover will
pop up to say if that helps or not.

--
Simon Hobson