DHCP Drops Packets

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 15:32:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

> sysctl net.ipv4.udp_wmem_min
> sysctl net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min
>
> Is it worthwhile to change those, maybe instead of the TCP ones? Because the performance issue from Bjarne was modify tcp which is not part of DHCP correct (unless we're talking about fail over)?
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
>
> Now I have to figure out how to make it permanent.

2 ways. the common way is to integrate them with sysctl - eg place them in the /etc/sysctl.conf
file - it will then be pulled in at start-time.

alternatively, add commands to rc.local

> We almost lost the service to be placed on Windows. So I'm glad we avoided that.

ouch. thats a nasty knee-jerk reaction. ISC DHCPD on Linux is soo much better than
any windows thing.  theres a reason why all appliance solutions use ISC DHCPD and Linux.

(higher performance etc can be with ISC DHCPD on a BSD platform.... but for some, the BSD
learning experience is steep and harsh)

alan