DHCP Drops Packets

Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet nmcdavit at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Nov 12 14:38:41 UTC 2010

Both you and Red DHCP and Bjarne are amazing. Thank you both so much. I can't believe it. I learned a big lesson today. A mix of elation and sadness. Our server was so chock full of synchronous logging and small caches.

I also noticed that there was these options as well

sysctl net.ipv4.udp_wmem_min
sysctl net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min

Is it worthwhile to change those, maybe instead of the TCP ones? Because the performance issue from Bjarne was modify tcp which is not part of DHCP correct (unless we're talking about fail over)?
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216

Now I have to figure out how to make it permanent.

We almost lost the service to be placed on Windows. So I'm glad we avoided that.

Thanks!

Nathan Van Fleet
Telecommunications Analyst
Network Assessment and Integration