dhcpv6 server and dhclient IA_PD support

Patrik Lahti plahti at qnx.com
Mon May 31 14:30:26 UTC 2010

I haven't tried this, but AFAICT from the code, dhclient will provide
$ip6_prefix to the dhclient-script when it has received a delegated
prefix. All you'd have to do is implement a suitable script which
creates/updates a rtadvd.conf and re/starts/stops rtadvd accordingly...

/P

On 10-05-27 09:08 PM, Aaron Murrihy wrote:
> Hi Kunal.
>
> I asked this exact same question on this mailing list a couple of
> weeks back, but unfortunately no answer was able to be provided.
>
> Let me outline the fruits of my labours thus far: In the man pages
> where it says that "option dhcp6.ia-pd" is not implemented is an
> error, it actually has. This has been fixed in the 4.2 beta. I have
> been unable to discover a way to bind a prefix (or address) to
> another interface on the device. It seems an odd feature to not
> have. WIDE DHCP has a very simple config option for doing this.
>
> This is an example of the server config I am using to delegate a
> prefix: default-lease-time 600; max-lease-time 7200; log-facility
> local7; subnet6 2001:db8:0:1::/64 { # Range for clients range6
> 2001:db8:0:1::129 2001:db8:0:1::254; # Prefix range for delegation to
> sub-routers prefix6 2000:1:1:100:: 2000:1:1:f00:: /56; }
>
> You just have to request a prefix using the client's -P option.
>
> Anymore questions don't hesitate to ask either using this mailing
> list or my personal email address.
>
> Also might I ask if you have any breakthroughs in this area to let me
> know?
>
> Cheers Aaron
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Kunal Sharma<KSharma at westell.com>
> wrote:
>> Friends,
>>
>> I'm new to using ISC DHCP and I have 4.1.1 source code. For my
>> *practical* purpose, I have a running configuration of server and
>> client working in tandem. But its just basic.
>>
>> I've looked at the "option dhcp6.ia-pd" on the server end (and I
>> can't seem to find any example config for the same) but nothing for
>> the client. I also have my doubts what with all the documentation
>> saying this might not be supported yet. Does the support exist in
>> 4.1.1 ?
>>
>> I need to be able to configure my dhclient in a way that its
>> request a PD from the server and configures one or more interfaces
>> based on that. How would the dhclient configure different subnets
>> on different interfaces (for simplicity's sake, lets consider just
>> one subnet for one interface) from the prefix delegated by the
>> server ?
>>
>> Thanks, Kunal

This e-mail and its attachments are a private communication sent from
Westell Technologies, Inc.,