dhcpd leases: abandonded

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 3 17:14:40 UTC 2010

Jeff Stettenbenz wrote:

>Also, hosts cannot hear one another across the network, they can
>only communicate with a boundary router.

Ah, you never mentioned that !

>  > -client B starts a 4 hour DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPOFFER loop
>Client A's MAC address remains in arp cache for the next four hours.
>This symptom is repeated throughout my network - it's not just one client.
>4 hours is a default arp time.

>  > Apr 28 05:13:42 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from
>00:00:00:zz:yy:xx  via 192.168.194.1
>  > Apr 28 05:13:43 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.194.20 to
>00:00:00:zz:yy:xx  via 192.168.194.1
>  > Apr 28 05:13:43 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from
>00:00:00:zz:yy:xx  via 192.168.194.1
>  > Apr 28 05:13:43 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.194.20 to
>00:00:00:zz:yy:xx  via 192.168.194.1
>  > Apr 28 05:13:45 -dhcp-01 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from
>00:00:00:zz:yy:xx  via 192.168.194.1

Right, it's not DHCP that's broken, it's your network.

My guess is this :
Client A initially gets an address, and your network "locks" that
IP-MAC pair for 4 hours.
Client B is offered that address after Client A declines it. It keeps
sending Discover messages because your network is blocking the Offer
messages from reaching it.

I think you need to take another look at your network.

PS - you do not need to send your messages to two lists. The
addresses are aliased to the same list.

--
Simon Hobson