Compiline ISC DHCP on Redhat

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Thu Jul 15 17:20:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> I'm a little baffled by the Redhat installer rpm. It give it a list of
> packages to install but it just wasn't doing it. I have to keep trying over
> and over until I had everything installed.
>
> I'm on my way!
>
> Also, once it's installed, I don't have a /etc/init.d/ file to control the
> service. I modified the one from 3.0.5 and it works. Is there a better way
> to set this sort of thing up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan Van Fleet

Nathan, I use Fedora which is similar, but not identical, to the Redhat
series.  I usually let the updates just apply normally which gives me easy
access to the Fedora configuration.  My init file is
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named and it does quite a bit of initialization; checks
the configs and zones and so forth.  I do like that.

But it also installs the binary in /usr/sbin while the isc tarball uses
/usr/local/sbin as the default.  That works for me as I then have access
to both binaries.  I patch the init like this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named INIT PATCH (Optional):
    NOTE: Failure to apply patch will result in the F13 binary
/usr/sbin/named running in lieu of /usr/local/sbin version. Because we
usually use a custom bind from ISC and this Fedora system has a fedora
named installed that uses the full system V init scripts that rely on
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named scripts to stop, start, or restart, it is necessary
to edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/named script to properly set up limits, the
binary, and the working directory upon system upgrades as yum bind updates
overwrite the patch and render it ephemeral.

if [ -x /usr/sbin/named-checkconf ] && [ -x /usr/sbin/named-checkzone] &&
  /usr/sbin/named-checkconf $ckcf_options ${named_conf} >/dev/null 2>&1;then
+++ ulimit -u 4096					  ## DRF
+++ chown -hR named:named /var/named                      ## DRF
--- daemon /usr/sbin/"$named" -u named ${OPTIONS};
+++ daemon /usr/local/sbin/"$named" -u named ${OPTIONS};  ## DRF
         RETVAL=$?
 	if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]; then

Also, under rhstatus(), I add:
cat "/proc/$(pgrep -o named)/limits"
to get system limits added to the service named status report. # DRF 5/7/2010
END INIT PATCH

Dave
--
David Forrest                   e-mail   drf @ maplepark.com