bind mac address to ip pool?

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Wed Feb 3 08:13:16 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

For subnetting within a single physical network and to keep
the DDNS stuff for virtual hosts separate from the rest of
the configuration I have to bind known mac addresses to
different IP pools. But it doesn't work. dhcpd keeps on
telling me

	WARNING: Host declarations are global.
	They are not limited to the scope you declared
	them in.

Of course the DHCP clients pop up in different subnets just
by chance. Is there some way around this severe restriction?
Maybe there is some kind of tag I could set in the host
section to make sure that this host is bound to pool A and
not to pool B?

Of course I checked the man pages and Google, but maybe I am
too blind to see.

dhcp is version 3.1.3, as found in Squeeze. Unfortunately
Debian doesn't include the new version yet.

Unknown mac addresses are not allowed, as you might have
guessed.

Any helpful comment would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Harri