DDNS

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Thu Oct 29 14:14:30 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Banana Flex wrote:
>
>> but how can it work when the master goes down ? no DDNS works at this
>> time ?
>
> Correct, DDNS stops working.
>
>> can the DHCP update the slave zone ? (stupid question sorry)
>
> No. And in general, you can't anyway (that's not a DHCP limitation, it's
> a limitation of at least one of the major DNS implementations, and I
> assume others). It is a definite possibility to create a database system
> that allows updates to a slave when the master is down - but you've only
> to look at the way failover works in DHCP to see how quickly the
> complications build up when you take all the corner cases into
> consideration. Not least of these complications is how to merge two sets
> of updates - considering it's possible to have mutually incompatible
> updates to apply.

ISC-bind can quite easily be configured to allow DDNS updates to "slave"
servers for a zone.  You use the allow-update-forwarding{}; option in
the zone declaration on the slave and specify the slave server IPs in
with the allow-update{}; statement in the zone declaration on the master.

-G

--
/*
  * Glen R. J. Neff